IMPORTANT NOTE: SINCE JANUARY 1, 2013 THE PRICE FOR A LUXEMBOURGISH PASSPORT IS 50 EUROS (for a 5 year passport) OR 30 EUROS (for a 2 year passport for a minor 3 years old or under).
Regulations governing the issuance of a new Luxembourg biometric passport and the integration of fingerprints in the passport chip starting June 29, 2009. Please note that all passports issued before June 29, 2009 remain valid until their expiry date, including:
- Passports of the series F
- Passports of the series C
- Passports of the series G (passports without biometric fingerprint)
The following persons are exempt from the requirement to give fingerprints:
- Children under the age of twelve.
- People who are physically unable to give the fingerprints. A medical certificate or a letter from the employer attesting to the inability of the person concerned shall, if necessary, be filed during the filing.
I. CHECK THE REGISTRY INFORMATION BY EMAIL BEFORE APPLYING FOR A PASSPORT
IMPORTANT: DO NOT DROP IN TO THE CONSULATE GENERAL IN NEW YORK OR BOOK A FLIGHT BEFORE YOU HAVE A CONFIRMED DATE AND TIME FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT!
The Luxembourg Registry (The National Registry of Physical Persons) is the main national database in Luxembourg and is linked with your personal passport page in the Passport System; we must, therefore, first check that your personal information in the Registry in Luxembourg is correct and updated.
EXCEPTION: Newborns must first complete a two-step introductory process to receive their passports: Two-step process
Please email us the following information using the subject "Registry Check : LAST NAME, FIRST NAME" at email@example.com :
FIRST and MIDDLE NAMES:
DATE OF BIRTH:
MAIDEN NAME IF MARRIED:
IF MARRIED LAST NAME, FIRST & MIDDLE NAMES, BIRTH DATE and SEX OF SPOUSE:
IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN (under the age of 18), LAST NAME, FIRST & MIDDLE NAMES, BIRTH DATE and SEX of EACH CHILD:
CELL PHONE NUMBER:
If your information does not match the information in the RNPP (Luxembourg National Database aka "Registre National des Personnes Physiques"), we will then give your instructions to update your information (by email) with the RNPP in Luxembourg or follow this link. Once the RNPP has updated your request, they will email you back.
All updates with the RNPP will need to be completed before we can give you a passport appointment, in order to assure that your Luxembourg Passport will be correct.
II. MAKE A PASSPORT APPOINTMENT AT THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF NEW YORK
Once we have confirmed that your information in the Luxembourg Registry is correct (or once you have updated your information with the RNPP in Luxembourg); you can then make an appointment.
Please call us at +1 (212) 888 6664
• Do not make travel plans or book a flight until your appointment has been confirmed
• You may not get your preferred date and time for a passport appointment but we will do our best to work with you
• There are absolutely NO DROP INS and you must have a confirmed appointment
• If you are NOT located in our JURISDICTION but would like to make an appointment with our Consulate General in New York, we may exceptionally accept your appointment as long as you ask the Diplomatic Mission in your Jurisdiction (either the Luxembourg Embassy in Washington DC or the Consulate General in San Francisco) to verify that your information in the Luxembourg Registry is correct or that they have requested to update the information on your behalf.
III. PAYMENT OF THE PASSPORT ONCE REGISTRY CHECK IS COMPLETE AND ONCE YOU HAVE A PASSPORT APPOINTMENT
Payment can be made:
- online via MyGuichet.lu;
- by bank card directly at the Passport, Visa and Legalisation Office (Bureau des passeports, visas et légalisations - BPVL);
- by deposit or transfer to the BPVL's post office account (IBAN: LU 46 1111 1298 0014 0000 / BIC: CCPLLULL).
Payment must be made:
- no more than 6 months before applying;
- no later than at the time of applying.
In case of multiple applications for biometric passports for several members of the same family, the total amount can be paid with a single deposit/transfer, indicating the first names and surnames of all the applicants.
Under no circumstances will the bank charges for making a transfer be borne by the BPVL.
Refund in case of an erroneous transfer
In the event of an erroneous transfer, a refund may be requested in writing (letter, email or fax) from the BPVL . The request must include an explanation, a copy of the transfer as well as an account number (IBAN and BIC code) and name of the account holder.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT URGENT PASSPORTS ("PASSEPORT URGENT"): For normal passports please answer "NON" (NO) to "DEMANDE URGENTE" (URGENT REQUEST), all URGENT PASSPORT MUST BE PICKED UP IN PERSON IN LUXEMBOURG BY A CONTACT THAT YOU HAVE ASSIGNED, therefore for an urgent passport you must have someone in Luxembourg who will retrieve the passport for you in person at the Bureau of Passports in the country of Luxembourg and who will also then send it to you.
Urgent passports are for those who have someone in Luxembourg willing to pick it up at the Bureau of Passeports. We require contact information, including an email address, from the person in Luxembourg who is picking the passport up.